Wednesday, September 20, 2006

The Future of Learning in a Networked World

I had the opportunity to participate in this open space conference yesterday, organised by Otago Polytechnic. It is a travelling conference, and the first leg was in Dunedin. There were 3 days of activity planned in Dunedin, but I only attended yesterday, to hear from the invited speakers, and join in discussions. Find out more here
I had a great experience, finding out about new things, and meeting new people. There was a great range of projects from the invited guests, and all had something interesting to offer.
As a visual artist who is interested in digital theory and new media arts, a lot of technology resonates with possibilites to me.
Web 2.0 technology with mobile phone
applications, as discussed by Teemu Leinonen from Finland, is something I can see myself working with, as have many other artists. I just came across this website this morning of New Zealand Photographer Peter Peryer
Jo Kay from Australia, also had a really interesting presentation about Second Life, an immersive 3d modelled world, where people exist in real-life communities through their avatars. I could see the potential for artists to have exhibition spaces in this world, or make work to sell to people in their 'houses'. Might be an interesting way to test work, but I can't see how it could compare to real art in the real world (and real reactions!).
Anyway, thanks to Leigh Blackall, who not only played a big part in getting all these people together to talk about the future of learning in a networked world, but who also taught me how to blog!

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

http://www.copyblogger.com/5-simple-ways-to-open-your-blog-post-with-a-bang/

3:53 AM  
Blogger Leigh Blackall said...

I dunno what craa22uk is trying to say, but thanks for posting Rachel.

The tour was incredible. I've just managed to post about it in my own space: Groups and/or networks

Hope you can spare a few lunch times this month.

7:45 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home